If you’re struggling with losing weight or gaining weight after a diet, below top 3 strategies for healthy weight loss should help.
1. Choose Healthy Foods:
- Eat more fiber. Foods rich in dietary fiber make you feel full for longer, so you will be satisfied while eating less. Smart choices include vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Fiber also helps to stabilize your glucose levels and lower cholesterol.
- Reduce sugar. Eating too many sugary foods can be a major reason for weight gain and food cravings. You can reduce your intake by avoiding ultra-processed foods and drinkable rather than sweetened beverages.
- Spice it up. Pick meals and snacks that are nutritious and delicious. If you’re trying to use less salt, cook with spices and herbs. Healthy fats like olive oil or coconut oil and spices will add plenty of flavor. Try these 52 healthy and delicious high protein recipes.
- Read labels. Check the rear of cereal boxes to confirm that the ingredients match the advertising on the front. Nutrition labels reveal important information like calories per serving and how much sugar and fat is in the product. Check especially for artificial ingredients and try to pick products with as little of them as possible.
- Cook at home. With homemade meals you’re able to control what ingredients that go into your meals and you’re likely to use less salt or replace sugar with healthier options.
2. Track What You Eat:
- Keep a journal. It’s easy to miscalculate how many calories you actually eat. A food journal teach you about eating patterns so that you can spot if and when you’re eating a bit too much. Try this food journal.
- Set daily goals. Use your journal to form short- and long-term goals for your food intake and other factors. Putting it down in writing will make them more concrete.
- Measure portions. Use information on the package to measure the portion sizes, instead of eating out of the bag and having the whole thing in one go.
3. Develop Coping Skills:
- Know your why. Consider your main reason for losing weight. It could be so that you look better, feel better or are a better example to your kids. Whatever it when you feel tempted to overindulge.
- Encourage yourself. Motivate yourself with positive self-talk and rewards. Build your confidence by reflecting on past achievements.
- Seek support. Surround yourself with people who have similar goals and who support you. Find a workout buddy or join a weight loss support group
- Manage stress. Lack of sleep and high levels of stress hormones can trigger weight gain. Find the best ways to relax safely with mindfulness meditation.
- Plan for relapses. Business trips and holidays seem like setbacks but will be only temporary. But your goal is the best inspiration to help you recover quickly.
Keeping weight off becomes easier over time. Ditch crash diets that leave you feeling deprived. Healthy eating and regular exercise will keep you lean and fit.