Healthy weight loss requires a strong mindset. Use the below 6 mental tips to help you develop a healthy weight loss attitude and avoid making excuses and jumping from diet to diet.
6 mental tips to help you develop a healthy weight loss attitude:
- Look inwards. Find your real reason why you want to live healthier and lose a few pounds. This will help you create lasting healthy changes. Learn how to spot extrinsic and intrinsic motivation and see what motivates you the most, then use that to fuel you with willpower and motivation. Warnings from your doctor and workplace contests may provide you with a fast incentive to turn but finding your own reasons will facilitate your to form lasting changes.
- Set realistic goals. Create targets you’ll be able to achieve. Each victory will inspire you to carry on trying. Examples could be to lose 0.2 pound every week or quit soda.
- Live mindfully. Set the table and sit down at mealtimes. Switch off the TV and pay attention to what you are eating. You’ll probably feel fuller with fewer calories. This mindfulness worksheet may be able to help.
- Love your body. See healthy eating as something positive you are doing for yourself instead of deprivation. Appreciate your body and nourish it.
- Plan for relapses. Be prepared for obstacles and setbacks. You’re less likely to feel discouraged if you recognise that you may overindulge during business trips or holiday parties.
- Seek coaching. Try to understand your thoughts and behaviours about food and your body image with the help of a professional. Talking with a coach may provide insights and options for new ways to cope.
With practice, you’ll be able to develop lots of motivation to stay on the right track with your healthy weight goals. Use these practical tips to change the way you think.